How to Update Instagram and Why You Should Do It
Why should you know how to update Instagram? Instagram is constantly developing new and more advanced features to enhance user experience. Instagram app updates are also rolled out to fix bugs in the system. Keeping your app up-to-date not only means being able to enjoy the newest features but also getting the proper system support to make sure that your app runs smoothly.
Installing Instagram updates is quick and easy. Keep reading to learn how!
How to Update Instagram on Android
Here are the steps for how to update Instagram on Android.
- Go to the Google Play app on your Android phone.
- Type “Instagram” in the search box on the top of the screen.
- When the app appears, the “Update” button should appear beside the Instagram icon if an update is available.
The new features and/or any bug fixes will be automatically applied when you launch your Instagram app after the update has been completed.
How to Update Instagram on iPhone
How to update Instagram on an iPhone involves almost exactly the same steps as those for an Android device. Just follow these steps.
- Go to the App Store on your iPhone.
- You’ll find the updates tab on the bottom of the screen. A red dot with a number in it will indicate the number of app updates available for your phone. Tap the updates tab.
A list of apps with available updates will appear. Find Instagram and then tap “Update.”
How to Update Instagram to Messenger Features
One of the most recent Instagram updates is the integration of Facebook’s Messenger features. Here’s how to update Instagram to Messenger features both for Android and iPhone.
- Launch the Instagram app, tap the DM icon, then tap “Update.”
- Alternatively, you can go to your profile, tap the Menu button, and then tap Settings.
- Tap “Update messaging,” and then tap “Update.”
You’ll see the Messenger icon on the top right of the screen — replacing the DM icon — once you’ve updated your Instagram to Messenger features. You’ll have access to both Facebook Messenger and DM features, and you’ll be able to chat directly with your Facebook friends while on Instagram.
Take note that this update can not be undone. You won’t be able to go back to using Direct Messaging after you make the switch to this latest update. Finally, This feature may still be unavailable in Japan and some countries in Europe.
How to Get the New Instagram Update Automatically
You can also get new Instagram updates automatically to ensure that your app is always up-to-date on the latest features and fixes. Take note that turning Instagram auto-updates on or off is only available on Android and iPhone devices with Facebook App Manager installed.
Just follow these steps to update Instagram automatically.
- Go to your profile.
- Tap the Menu bar on the top right.
- Tap “Settings.”
- Tap “About” then tap “App updates.”
- Tap the slide bar next to “Auto-update Instagram” to turn auto-updates on or off.
Why should you update your app to the latest version?
Sometimes, it sucks to lose an interface you’re already familiar with and comfortable with. You can choose to delay your Instagram app update, of course. But sooner or later, the outdated version you’re using may no longer be supported by Instagram and you will have to switch to a newer one.
Keep in mind that if you postpone your Instagram update, you won’t be able to use certain features, and/or some features may no longer work properly, if at all. Your app may also run more slowly, especially if the new update includes bug fixes.
If you encounter problems while using an older app version, knowing how to update Instagram is usually the solution. If you’re an influencer or own a business account, it’s just as important to keep your account bio updated as it is to keep your app version up-to-date. Both types of updates will help you stay current with the latest trends and in touch with your followers.
How to Undo an Instagram Update
In case you miss its previous look or you’re more comfortable with an earlier version, you may also want to know how to undo an Instagram update. There are a number of ways to do this, depending on your device settings and whether you’re using an Android or an iPhone. Take note that you may only be able to go back to earlier versions rolled out within the same year. Here are your options.
- Uninstall your Instagram app. You will have to do this manually, usually through your phone’s settings. And then search for an earlier version online to reinstall the app in your phone. You won’t lose any of your Instagram data, but you will have to log back in. Make sure to download a previous version only from a trusted site.
- Check your phone’s settings. Open your apps and look for Instagram. In some devices, the Instagram icon will have the three dots beside it which will give you the option to “Uninstall updates.” The app will automatically revert to the version prior to the latest app update.
- Remember to turn off the auto-update feature on Instagram.
Connect with over
75,000 instagram Marketers
Get the latest tips, tricks and strategies to grow your IG
Final Thoughts: Always Keep an Eye Out For the Latest Version of the App
It’s very easy to get left behind these days, especially on social media where the coming and going of information occurs as fast as your thumb can scroll through your screen. Like other online platforms, Instagram constantly introduces app updates to keep things fresh and interesting, improve system function, and enhance user experience. You may not always like these updates, but it’s still important to know how to update your Instagram.
If you’re managing a business account, making sure that you’re always using the latest Instagram version is necessary to achieve and maintain good metrics. It’s even more important when you’re still working to boost your follower and engagement numbers. If you need help growing your account, you should explore the benefits of teaming up with a trustworthy growth service like Path Social. Path Social delivers organic growth with their proprietary AI targeting technology and in-house team of social media experts. You can rest easy that you’ll get followers who are real people and most likely to be interested in and engage with your content. Start growing and gaining instagram followers today!