Instagram Notes 101: A Beginner’s Guide
The ever-evolving algorithm of Instagram makes it a challenge to maintain consistent engagement on the platform. Despite spending numerous hours creating content, getting a few likes and views can feel like an uphill battle. Luckily, Instagram has introduced a new feature to help keep your followers interested in your content. Instagram Notes is a user-friendly tool that enables you to connect with your audience on a more personal level.
Similar to Facebook statuses, notes prompt you to share “What’s on your mind?” and these notes appear in the inbox of your followers, making it easier for them to keep up with your updates. This guide will tell you everything you need to know about Instagram notes and how to use them. Let’s jump right in.
What Are Instagram Notes?
The question on everyone’s mind since they popped up out of nowhere is, “What are Instagram notes?” Instagram notes are short messages that appear at the top of your inbox that resemble thought bubbles. These messages can be seen by people you follow that follow you back, or you can choose to only share them with your close friends. Notes have a 60-character limit using text and emojis. Notes, like stories, only last for 24 hours and then disappear. You can edit or delete notes at any time. When you share your note with followers, their responses appear as DMs in your Instagram inbox.
Instagram began testing notes in July 2022. They found that people like having an easy way to share what’s on their minds, which doesn’t require as much work as creating a story or a reel. Notes are private and an easy way to promote, express, or inspire your fans or followers.
How to Post an Instagram Note?
Posting an Instagram note is super simple. Here’s a quick 5-step guide on using the notes feature.
- Open the Instagram app. Tap your message icon at the top right corner.
- Once you’re in your inbox, tap your profile picture underneath the search bar.
- Tap Share a thought and enter your note. Remember, it can only be 60 characters with text and emojis.
- A prompt will require you to select if you want to share it with your followers you follow back or your close friends. Select your option.
- Tap Share at the top right to share your note, and you’re all done.
Again, these notes last 24 hours, and you can edit or delete them anytime by doing the following.
- Open the Instagram app. Tap your message icon at the top right corner.
- Once you’re in your inbox, tap your profile picture with your current note.
- A prompt that says Leave a new note or Delete note will pop up.
- Select the option you want.
Why Don’t I Have Instagram Notes?
When Instagram Notes launched, they were available to everyone except those in Europe, the United Kingdom, and Japan. But it has since been announced that notes are now available worldwide. So if you were in that region, you should have access to notes when you view your Instagram inbox. If you weren’t in those regions or you’re still wondering “Why don’t I have Instagram notes”, then here are five solutions to troubleshoot the problem.
Since this is a new feature, you need to have the latest version of Instagram. Therefore, the first solution it to update Instagram. Here are additional tips that can help you resolve issues around Instagram Notes.
Instagram Notes Are Not Showing on iPhone
If Instagram notes are not showing on iPhone, go to your Apple Store and type Instagram in the search bar. Once it pops up, click Update to download the latest version of Instagram.
Instagram Notes Not Showing on Android
If Instagram notes are not showing on Android, go to your Google Play Store and type Instagram in the search bar. Once it pops up, click Update to download the latest version of Instagram.
Once complete, click on Instagram and go to your inbox. You should see a row of profile pictures with thoughts on them, and you know that you’ve fixed the issue.
Offload and Reinstall to Troubleshoot Instagram Notes
If you go to update, but there is no prompt to update, you most likely have the latest version. Don’t be alarmed because you can still troubleshoot. You just need to offload and reinstall the app. This is like giving it a hard reset.
If you are an iPhone user, go to Settings, tap General, then iPhone Storage. Scroll down until you see Instagram, then click Offload App. Once offloaded, then click Reinstall App.
If you have an Android, go to Settings, select Apps, then click See all Apps. Scroll through until you find Instagram, then click Uninstall. Once uninstalled, go back to Google Play Store, search for Instagram, then press Install.
Ensure You Have a Close Friends List To View Instagram Notes
Many users have reported that not having a close friends list has caused them to not have access to Instagram notes. If you don’t have a close friends list, here’s how to add one.
Open your Instagram account, tap on your profile picture at the bottom right, then click the three bars at the top right. Scroll down until you see Close Friends, then click it. Add the people you’d like to be on your close friends list, then tap Done.
Now go to your inbox and check to see if you have access to your notes. Once you do, you don’t have to only share them with your close friends, but adding close friends could alleviate the issue.
Turn on the Activity Status
Try turning on your activity status if the previous solutions haven’t worked.
Go to your profile, tap your profile picture at the bottom right, then click the triple bar at the top right-hand corner. Go to Settings, then Privacy, then scroll down to Activity Status. Once you click it, check to see if your activity status is enabled. If it’s not, slide the button to the right to enable your activity status.
Contact the Help Center to Troubleshoot Instagram Notes
If you have tried each solution, but you still don’t see the Instagram notes feature, then you need to contact the help center. The first step is taking a screenshot of your inbox showing that notes are unavailable to you.
Once you have this screenshot handy, go to your profile picture at the bottom right corner and click it, tap the three lines in the top right corner, then click Settings. Scroll down and click Help, then tap the first prompt that says Report a Problem.
It will tell you to go back and shake your phone, so do exactly that. Click out of the prompt, then physically shake your phone. A prompt will pop up that says Report a problem. Click it. It will ask if you would like to include complete logs and diagnostics. Click Include and continue.
Press Upload at the bottom right to add the screenshot you took initially, then tap Done. Write an explanation of all the solutions you’ve tried and how you still don’t have access to Instagram notes. Once you have attached your screenshot and written your explanation, press send. They should get back to you via email so be on the lookout. There’s no set time for their response, but give them at least 24 to 48 hours.
Why Use Instagram Notes?
Although there is no information regarding notes and the Instagram algorithm, notes are a great way to increase engagement. When building trust with the people who follow you, it’s important to show them who you are. Notes are an easy and quick way to do that. If you’re an influencer, the notes feature can help you understand what your followers want from you. You’ll then have a better understanding of your target market and what content to produce.
If you’re a small business, notes can assist you in sharing sales, new product launches, and discount codes. It will make your customers feel exclusive since they can see the private notes that others can’t.
If you’re not an influencer or a business, notes are a great way to have fun, vent, or start conversations when you’re bored. Everyone can get in on the fun with the notes feature.
Instagram Note Ideas
Instagram notes are a great way to share your personality. You can share what you’re up to or what’s actually on your mind, ask questions, share a joke, or you can share something inspirational. If you don’t know where to start or what to write, here are some Instagram note ideas you can post or use as examples.
Spice up Your Instagram Notes With These Movie Quotes
Quoting your favorite movie lines is a great start if you have yet to post any notes on Instagram. Check out the quotes below to give you a few ideas.
- “Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.” Dead Poets Society
- “Go ahead, make my day” Sudden Impact
- “Well, nobody’s perfect.” Some Like It Hot
- “What we’ve got here is failure to communicate” Cool Hand Luke
- “A martini. Shaken, not stirred.” Goldfinger
- “Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!” Auntie Mame
- “Show me the money!” Jerry Mcguire
- “The stuff that dreams are made of.” The Maltese Falcon
- “After all, tomorrow is another day.” Gone With the Wind
- “Just keep swimming.” Finding Nemo
- “You Is Kind, You Is Smart, You Is Important” The Help
Popular TV Show Lines for Instagram Notes
Binge-watching TV shows have become a favorite pastime for many. Your hard work is finally about to pay off because TV show quotes are a great source of inspiration for Instagram note ideas.
- “Winter is coming.” Game of Thrones
- “Live long and prosper.” Star Trek
- “Is butter a carb?” Mean Girls
- “Can we just take a minute to celebrate me?” New Girl
- “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.” Friday Night Lights
- “Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?” Friends
- “You got it dude!” Full House
- “Treat. Yo. Self.” Parks and Recreation
- “Can I get an alcohol?” New Girl
Motivational Instagram Note Ideas
Leaving motivational notes on Instagram will capture the attention of your followers and keep them wanting more from you. Here are a few quotes to choose from.
- “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” Mark Twain
- “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” Babe Ruth
- “Everything you can imagine is real.”Pablo Picasso
- “Do one thing every day that scares you.” Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Impossible is just an opinion.” Paulo Coelho
- “Hold the vision, trust the process.” Unknown
- “One day or day one. You decide.” Unknown
- “Hustlers don’t sleep, they nap.” Unknown
- “Invest in your dreams. Grind now. Shine later.” Unknown
- “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.” Kurt Cobain
- “Dreams don’t work unless you do.” John C. Maxwell
- “Go the extra mile. It’s never crowded there.” Dr. Wayne D. Dyer
- “H.O.P.E. = Hold On. Pain Ends.” Unknown
- “Make each day your masterpiece.” John Wooden
- “Never regret anything that made you smile.” Mark Twain
- “Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.” Suzy Kassem
- “I never lose. Either I win or learn.” Nelson Mandela
- “Focus on being productive instead of busy.” Tim Ferriss
- “You’re so much stronger than your excuses.” Unknown
- “All we can do is the best we can do.” David Axelrod
Funny Instagram Note Ideas
Brighten up everyone’s day with witty humor for your Instagram notes. Check out these examples.
Stay strong, I whispered to my WiFi signal.
- Reality called, so I hung up.
- More issues than Vogue.
- The only marathons I run are on Netflix.
- They call me ranch ’cause I be dressing.
- The bags under my eyes are Gucci.
- I put the “pro” in procrastinate.
- Wine + Dinner = Winner
- Friday, my second favorite F word.
- There’s no “we” in fries
Boost Your Engagement by Asking These Instagram Note Questions
One of the best ways to increase engagement is by asking questions. Here are some great queries you can use as your Instagram notes.
- How’s the algorithm treating you today?
- What do you think about [latest events]?
- Have you seen this new episode of [TV-series]?
- What’s your best joke?
- Do you have any questions for me?
- What does success mean to you?
- Where are you from?
- Want an exclusive offer?
- What do you want to see in our shop?
- Coffee or tea?
- Looking for some free advice?
- Intelligence or beauty?
- How can I help you today?
- What’s one thing you can’t live without?
- What’s frustrating you?
Can I Turn Off Instagram Notes?
The big question on many people’s minds is can I turn off Instagram notes? Unfortunately, you can’t turn them off, but you can mute individual users. If there is a user whose notes you do not want to see, you can mute that particular person. You can do so by going to your inbox, doing a long hold over the profile picture of the person’s note you no longer want to see, then pressing Mute notes. This will mute their notes without letting them know.
Also, if you’re wondering, can you hide your notes from someone? Technically no. There is no way to hide notes from one particular person. You can choose to share them with your close friends to prevent certain people from seeing them. But unfortunately, there is no way to hide notes from someone unless you want to remove them from following you.
Final Thoughts on Instagram Notes
Instagram notes offer a unique way to interact with your followers and increase engagement on the platform. Although you cannot see who views your notes, you can respond to them in your DMs and start conversations with your audience. Notes are temporary and disappear after 24 hours, so it’s important to consistently create new notes to maintain a presence.
While no concrete evidence exists whether notes increase visibility in the algorithms, they can help build relationships with your existing followers and gain insights into their preferences. Overall, Instagram notes can be a valuable tool to strengthen your presence on the platform and connect with your audience more personally.
While on Path Social, check out the free Engagement Rate Calculator. All you need is your user name to discover your engagement rate. At Path Social, we grow your Instagram account with real, organic followers using our advanced audience targeting algorithm, a team of social media specialists, and a network of influencers. If you’re feeling stuck with the same number of followers and are confused about which strategy works to grow your followers and engagement, let Path Social help you. Sign up today and get more exposure and engagement.