How to Update Instagram and Why It’s Worth It
Every app under the sun needs updating from time to time. Whether it’s a social media service or a banking app, keeping on top of your updates is essential. Instagram is no exception to this rule. That’s why we’re teaching you how to update Instagram and sharing why you should do it.
Learning to automatically or manually update Instagram is quick and easy. Keep reading to learn how.
What Are Instagram Updates?
Instagram updates are new versions of the app. By installing it, you’re updating Instagram to its latest version. Some updates are for fixes, patches, or new features. Developers update the Instagram app to improve user experience.
You can download the newest version of the app manually in the Google Play Store app or the Apple app store. Or, if you prefer to skip the hassle altogether, you can enroll in automatic updates.
Why You Should Update Your App to the Latest Version
We get it. Not everyone’s a fan of change, even regarding the Instagram app. Sometimes, it sucks to lose an interface you’re already familiar with and comfortable with. You can choose to delay moving up to the latest Instagram app version.
But sooner or later, Instagram will stop supporting your outdated version. Then, you’ll have to switch over anyway.
Remember that if you postpone your Instagram update, you won’t be able to use certain features. Additionally, some features may no longer work properly, if at all. Your app may also run more slowly if the new update includes bug fixes.
How To Update the Instagram App Manually
Ready to learn how to update the Instagram app? First, we’re going to show you the manual way for an iOS device and an Android device. It just takes a few simple steps, and before you know it, your app will run better than ever.
How to Update Instagram on Android
Here are the steps for how to update Instagram on Android.
- Go to the Google Play app on your Android phone.
- Type “Instagram” in the search box on the top of the screen.
- When the app appears, the “Update” button should appear beside the Instagram icon if an update is available.
It should take a maximum of a minute for the updates to install. Once it’s done loading, click on the Instagram app listing, and the new updates should launch.
How to Update Instagram on iPhone
How to update Instagram on iPhone (or any iOS device) involves similar steps as those for an Android device. Just follow these steps.
- Go to the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, or other iOS mobile device
- You’ll find the updates tab at the bottom of the screen. A red dot with a number will indicate the number of app updates available for your phone. Tap the updates tab.
- A list of apps with available updates should appear. Find Instagram and then tap “Update.”
As with non-iOS devices, the next time you launch the app, it’ll run the new features and system fixes.
How To Enroll in Automatic App Updates for Instagram
Those steps were pretty easy, right? But to spend less time checking out the Google Play store or the app store, there’s another option. You can choose for Instagram to automatically update itself.
Turning Instagram auto-updates on or off is only available on Android and iPhone devices with Facebook App Manager installed. (So, if you don’t have that, you will have to keep using the Google Play store and app store.)
Here’s how to receive every latest app version automatically.
- How to Enroll in Automatic app updates for Instagram
- Tap the Menu bar on the top right.
- Tap “Settings.”
- Tap “About,” then tap “App updates.”
- Tap the slide bar next to “Auto-update Instagram” to turn auto-updates on or off.
Just like that, you can now add Instagram to the list of your favorite auto-update apps.
How To Update Instagram Messenger
One of the most recent Instagram updates is the integration of Facebook’s Messenger features. Here’s how to update Instagram Messenger both for Android and iPhone.
- Go to your Instagram account and tap your profile picture in the bottom menu.
- Tap the Menu icon in the top right corner.
- Tap “Settings.”
- You should see “Update messaging” at the top of the list. If not, tap search and type “messaging.”
- Tap Update. Now you’re ready to enjoy a new way of Instagram messaging.
Once you’ve updated your Instagram to Messenger, you’ll see the Messenger icon on the top right replacing the DM icon. You’ll have access to Facebook Messenger and DM features, so you can chat directly with your friends on Instagram. This should cut down on any Instagram DM glitches.
Take note that you can’t undo this update. You won’t be able to go back to using Direct Messaging after you switch to this latest update. Finally, this feature may still be unavailable in certain regions. If you’re in those areas, don’t bother visiting the app store to download FB Messenger.
How To Uninstall Instagram Update
Let’s say keeping your app up to date isn’t working out for you. You may also want to know how to uninstall Instagram updates. There are several ways to do this, depending on your device settings and whether you’re using Android phones or iPhones. Note that you may only be able to return to earlier versions rolled out within the same year. Here are your options.
- Uninstall your Instagram app. You must do this manually, usually through your phone’s settings. Search for an earlier version online to reinstall the app on your phone. You won’t lose any of your Instagram data, but you will have to log back in. Only download a previous version from a trusted site.
- Check your phone’s settings. Open your apps and find Instagram in your phone’s search field option. In some devices, the Instagram icon will have three dots beside it, giving you the opportunity to “Uninstall updates.” The app will automatically revert to the version prior to the latest Instagram update.
- Last, but not least, remember to turn off automatic updates for Instagram.
Connect with over
75,000 instagram Marketers
Get the latest tips, tricks and strategies to grow your IG
Final Thoughts: Always Keep an Eye Out for the Latest Version of the App
It’s easy to feel left behind in the social media world. Like other apps, Instagram constantly introduces app updates with the latest features, improved system function, and enhanced user experience. You may not always like these updates, but knowing how to update Instagram is still important.
Are you managing a business account? Then using the latest Instagram version is crucial for achieving and maintaining good metrics. It’s even more critical when you’re still working to boost your follower and engagement numbers.
If you need help growing your account, explore teaming up with a trustworthy growth service like Path Social. Path Social delivers organic growth with their proprietary AI targeting technology and in-house team of social media experts. You can rest easy that you’ll get real, engaged and targeted followers. Start growing and gaining Instagram followers today!