Here’s How to Unmute Someone on Instagram
There are a number of ways to enhance your user experience on Instagram. Customizing your story feed is one such option. You can choose whose stories you want to see more of, just as you can decide which stories are irrelevant and you can do without. You don’t have to unfollow or block someone to avoid seeing their stories on Instagram; fortunately, there’s the mute option.
But when you’re curious about what the muted account has been up to recently or if you’ve decided to welcome them back to your feed, how do you go about the process of unmuting them?
Table of Contents
How to Unmute Someone’s Stories on Instagram
Muting someone’s stories naturally decreases your level of engagement with them. Unmuting their stories, therefore, will increase your engagement as viewing their stories can earn you a reciprocal view of your stories.
There are many reasons why you may choose to mute someone’s Instagram stories. Perhaps you simply want to keep your story feed limited to a select few, such as your family and closest friends. Maybe you don’t think a person’s stories are adding any value to your Instagram content consumption and overall experience on the platform. Or, perhaps, there are certain things you want to avoid.
Whatever your reason, when you’re ready to broaden your Instagram horizons once again, unmuting stories you have muted is fairly easy! There are several ways to go about it. Keep reading to find out how.
Unmuting Via the Muted Story on the Homepage
- At the top of your feed, swipe left and scroll towards the end of Instagram’s stories feed.
- When you reach the end, you’ll see all the muted stories in gray.
- Search for the account you want to unmute.
- Hold your finger on the account you want to unmute; a pop-up menu will appear at the bottom of the page.
- Select ‘Unmute story’ from the two options. You will start seeing the account’s stories again every time they’re updated.
Unmuting Via the Person’s Profile
- Go to the profile of the account in question.
- Tap on the “Following” button; a pop-up menu will appear.
- Tap on the ‘Mute’ option; another menu will appear.
- Tap on the toggle button next to the stories to disable “Mute.” The button should turn blue to indicate that their stories are “on” again.
Alternatively, you can locate the story icon on the top left corner of their profile and hold your finger to it. Then tap the three dots on the top right, and select “Unmute story.”
Unmuting Through Your Account Settings
- Go to your profile and click on the settings icon on the top right corner.
- Tap on “Settings,” and then tap on “Privacy” in the sub-menu.
- Select the “Connections” category and then tap on “Muted accounts.”
- The account/s you have muted will appear.
- Tap on the account you want to unmute to visit their profile.
- Tap on the “Following” button.
- Select “Mute” from the menu.
- Tap on the toggle button to turn their stories back on.
For Instagram’s Older Version
If you’re still using an older version of Instagram, the unmute options above will not work. Here’s how to unhide a muted account’s content.
Visit the profile you want to unmute. You’ll find a note below the person’s bio and above their highlights, which says, “You have mute [username]’s story.” Tap on “Unmute,” which is located next to this note. And, voila! You’ll be able to view that person’s latest stories again!
Unfollowing or blocking someone on Instagram are not the only options to avoid seeing their stories or posts. You can simply mute their stories, and they won’t even know about it. If you wish to get updates from them again, unmuting their stories is quick and easy!