How to Change Your Instagram Name and Should You Do It?
There are a number of good reasons why you’d want to know how to change your Instagram name. Perhaps it’s common and too similar to another account name or that of several other users. Perhaps you thought of something more unique, creative and suitable for your brand. Maybe you had a name change in real life after getting married and want to update your social media names. Or, maybe you just want to shake things up a bit with a new social media presence.
Whatever the reason may be, think long and hard about your decision. Ask yourself first if it’s a good idea to do so. If so, we have you covered. Let’s break down what it means to change your Instagram username and how to do it.
How to Change Your Instagram Name
First things first, did you know that your Instagram display name and Instagram username are two different things? And yes, you can change both. Did you only want to change the display name people see on your Instagram profile? Or, do you want to change your name/handle? You’ll need to decide which one you want to change first. Once you decide, you can learn how to change your Instagram name. Let’s get started by differentiating between the two.
How to Change Your Instagram Name: Instagram Usernames
Your Instagram username is also referred to as your ID or handle. It’s the name that is prominently displayed on your profile, after the @ symbol, and alongside your posts and comments. It’s also the name that people use to tag you. You can get creative with your Instagram username and use whatever you want, as long as it’s not taken. Once you learn how to change your Instagram name, pick a new username. Choose something unique so it stands out, but not too complicated.
How to Change Your Instagram Name: Your Account Name
Your account name, or display name, is usually your real name. Or, how you’re commonly known by your family, friends, co-workers and acquaintances. For business accounts, the Instagram name is their business name. This appears less prominently below your Instagram name. Instagram recommends using a name you’re known by to make it easy for people to find you on the platform. Some people choose the same username and display name. It’s super easy to change. Once you learn how to change your Instagram name, you can change your display name too. They are located in the same place for both app users and the desktop site.
The Steps on How to Change Your Instagram Name
If you’ve made up your mind and need to make a change, here’s how to change your Instagram name. Remember, you can also use these steps to make changes to your display name too.
- Tap on your profile icon at the bottom left corner of your screen. It should be your Instagram profile picture.
- Tap “Edit Profile.”
- Type your new Instagram handle or display name.
- Tap “Done” for an iPhone, or “Submit” for a computer. For Android app users, tap on the blue checkmark to complete your changes.
- You will return to your profile. Double check to make sure appropriate changes are made. You should see your new desired username in place of your old username.
Important Factors to Consider Before You Decide to Change Instagram Name And/or Username
Now you know how to change your name on Instagram, there’s a few things you need to consider. While a name change is an easy task, you might have to do some work to update your changes elsewhere. Do you often link your Instagram username to any other social media sites? Use it in your email signature? Be sure to make edit profile changes there too. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re contemplating to change Instagram name and/or username:
- Instagram may have to review the change first. Especially if you already have a lot of high quality followers and your account reaches a lot of users. Otherwise, your name change will take effect immediately.
- Your followers will be notified about your new username.
- When changing your Instagram name, you can only do it twice within 14 days.
- When changing your Instagram username, you’ll only be able to switch it back within 14 days. Also, only if your previous username is still available.
- Do you frequently link to your Instagram account? If so, people who click on these old Instagram profile links might have a problem connecting to your account. You may have to go back and update or unlink your Instagram account.
- Remember to update your Instagram link on your other social media accounts.
- Your followers and other users who search for you using your old handle will get a “User not found” message.
- All your previous comments, likes, mentions, and DMs will change to your new username. Some of your followers may get confused if they don’t recognize your new handle and may unfollow you.
- Make sure to notify your followers of your name change by making an announcement. Post both to your Instagram wall feed and stories at least a week before changing your Instagram username.
- Last, check to see how similar your new username is to other Instagram usernames. You want to change your Instagram username to something unique. Something that won’t be easily confused with another user’s display name.
How to Change Instagram Name Profile Font
If you are looking to set yourself apart from other users try updating your profile font. A catchy new Instagram name that represents you and your brand is always a good idea. However, you can also change things up by using a fun font on your Instagram account profile. Instagram fonts are a great way to express yourself in style. Wondering how to change Instagram name profile fonts? You can easily change Instagram name font by using any of the Instagram-approved Instagram font generators. These third-party apps typically work the same way. Additionally, they are available for both iOS and Android app users.
- Launch the font generator.
- Type your new name in the app’s text editing box.
- Try out the various font options and select the one you like.
- Copy the name via Ctrl + A and then Ctrl + C. Or, from your phone utilize the copy and paste option for your device.
- Go to your Instagram app or Instagram via computer. Tap on your profile picture and tap “Edit profile.”
- Paste the name with your chosen font into the appropriate box.
- Click “Done” or “Submit.”
If you need or want to go back to a traditional font just delete your name in your profile. Then tap on “Edit profile” and retype it as you would be adding a new name or new information.
How to Change Instagram Username: How to Find Someone With a New Username
If your favorite influencer or brand learned how to change Instagram username you might not be able to find them. We’ve all been there and it’s definitely a task to search for them. If you’ve unfollowed a person on Instagram here’s how to find someone if they changed their name on Instagram.
- Search for them using their real name and other popular names they’re known by.
- Look for them via your common friends on Instagram or accounts you mutually follow. You’ll have to go through the follower list of this mutual connection to find your “missing person.”
- Have you engaged with them previously on your post or another account’s post? If so, you can look for this post instead to find out their new username. You can also search for them via a post they were previously tagged in or the account that tagged them.
- Find a post they commented on previously.
- If you know anybody who’s following them, you can check their following list.
These tips work for both iOS and Android app users. If you’re unable to find a person on the Instagram app, it may not be because they changed their name. If you’re getting “User not found” when you use a person’s known names to search, there might be a reason. They might be taking a social media break. Or, they have blocked you. Do you see their profile but you see a message that says “No Posts Yet” on their wall? This means they have blocked you. You may still be able to see what they’ve been up to via posts they’re tagged in.
Final Thoughts: Is an Instagram Name Change for the Better or for the Worse?
Knowing how to change your name on Instagram is easy peasy. The process is quick and the change usually takes effect immediately. As long as the username’s still available and Instagram does not have to review your request first. However, deciding if changing your account name and/or handle requires careful consideration.
Will it be beneficial to your account, or even personally? If you’re managing a business account, are you willing to risk lower engagement for the first few days or weeks? You may also lose some followers in the process. If the long-term pros outweigh the short-term cons, then go for it!
At Path Social we’ve built up an in-house platform of Instagram influencers and a proprietary AI targeting algorithm. That’s how we reach organic users who are targeted, interested, and engaged. You’ll build an Instagram community that lasts! Start growing and gaining instagram followers today!