How To Delete Instagram Account: A Step-by-Step Guide
Undoubtedly, social media is a significant aspect of our daily lives. Most times, Facebook is our catch-up arena, Instagram is our photo album, and Twitter is our news source. These platforms help us stay connected, but we must take a break from them sometimes.
If you read this article, you are thinking of turning off the Instagram pings that keep flashing on your phone. However, it is vital to note that deleting your Instagram account requires planning just as opening it does. Interestingly, this article reveals everything you need to learn on how to delete an Instagram account.
How To Delete Instagram Account on Your Phone
Depending on your mobile device, you must take different steps when deleting your Instagram account.
In any case, you should back up your account data before deleting it in case of future use. However, you should know that the data won’t include specific profile pictures, comments, etc. but will be in a computer-readable HTML. Let’s dive into how to delete an Instagram account on your mobile devices without further ado.
5 Steps on How To Delete Instagram Account on IPHONE?
Here are the steps on how to delete an Instagram account on iPhone.
- Step 1: Open the Insta app and log into your account. Tap the menu symbol at the top right corner of the screen.
- Step 2: Click on “Account,” then “Settings.”
- Step 3: Click on “delete account.”
Instagram will propose deactivating your account rather than deleting it. Deactivation makes your account invisible and is always reversible. Tap the “delete account” button to disable the Instagram account permanently.
- Step 4: Verify the deletion. Instagram will ask if you are sure about your action.
- Step 5: Verify again!
Instagram’s lengthy process is either frustrating to angry users or beneficial to users unsure of their decision to delete their accounts. As such, Instagram will query a user’s decision if they want to delete their account. Their response and providing their correct password are important for this process to be successful.
Clicking on the “Delete@username” button will erase your account permanently. After this, your account will no longer be viewable on Instagram, but you still have 30 days to change your mind and reactivate it. If you don’t, it is completely gone!
How To Delete Instagram Account on Android?
You may be confused about how to delete an Instagram account on Android. Well, for some strange reason, the official Instagram app for Android does not allow the deletion of accounts as iPhone does. Well, it’s no big deal. You can launch a browser on your Android phone and delete it via these easy steps.
- Step 1: Log into your account at www.instagram.com.
- Step 2: Access the Delete Account page.
- Step 3: Verify the deletion.
Verify that the username corresponds to the account you wish to delete. If it does not, select log out on the right side of the screen instructions to leave Instagram and sign in later with the proper account.
- Step 4: Enter your password and why you want to delete your Instagram account. Instagram will permanently delete your account if you select “Delete@username” at the bottom.
How To Delete Instagram Account Without Password/Email Address?
You can delete your Instagram account without a password or email address. However, you must log in to your Instagram account before you can do it. The easiest way is through Facebook. You can retrieve your Instagram account through Facebook if you have previously accessed your account from there. Here are the steps on how to delete an Instagram account without a password or email:
- Step 1: Open the Instagram app or website
- Step 2: Click the “Log in with Facebook” link beneath the “Log In” tab.
- Step 3: Connect on Facebook, and click “Continue as Your Name.
- Step 4: Scroll to Settings and then click on Security.
- Step 5: Choose “Password,” then click “Reset Password with Facebook.”
- Step 6: Enter your Facebook password, and change your Instagram password.
You can also delete your Instagram account by reporting your profile. Instagram allows users to report any profile or content violating community guidelines. The platform will close the account whenever users make a valid complaint. You can follow these steps to report your account:
- Step 1: Open your browser and type in your username in the search bar
- Step 2: Click “profile” and tap on the three dots
- Step 3: Click on “Report” and tap on “Report Account”
- Step 4: Choose “It’s pretending to be someone else” as the cause of reporting
- Step 5: Tap on “Me” and click “Next”
That’s it! You have now reported your account successfully. However, Instagram would not immediately block the account. You can tell your friends to report the profile to make Instagram take action faster.
How To Delete Instagram Account Temporarily?
Sometimes, you feel like leaving social media for a while and want to know how to delete an Instagram account temporarily. If you find yourself in this situation, here are the steps to take:
- Step 1: Open a web browser and go to Instagram.com. After this, log in to your Instagram account.
- Step 2: Choose the profile option by clicking on your profile photo icon in the top-right area.
- Step 3: Tap the edit profile button at the top of the page.
- Step 4: Click “Temporarily deactivate my account” at the bottom of the page after scrolling down.
- Step 5: Instagram will ask why you want to cancel your account. Choose a reason from the drop-down option and then enter your password.
- Step 6: Lastly, tap on “Temporarily disable an account.” Click on “Yes” to confirm your choice.
Notably, these steps apply to Android users or users who want to delete their accounts via the web.
On the other hand, iOS device users have more access to the Instagram mobile app’s account-disabling features than Android users. If you use iOS and want to delete your account temporarily using the mobile app, follow these steps;
- Select your profile picture.
- Click on the menu icon.
- Click on “Settings”
- Click on “Account”
- Click on “Delete account.”
- Finally, click on “Deactivate account.”
It is important to recognize that you do not have to delete your Instagram account if you only need a break. Another option for you is to make your account private. With a private account, your posts won’t be viewable to the public except for your followers. Also, you don’t have to accept requests from others to follow you. To switch to a private account, open the app’s Settings, select Privacy, and then turn the button on.
Reasons Why You Should Delete Your Instagram Account?
There are many reasons why you should delete your Instagram account. Let’s take a look at a few of them.
- It is Time-consuming
Social media platforms often take a considerable chunk of users’ time. Research has revealed that users likely spend 16 minutes on Skype, 9.5 minutes on Messenger, and 29 minutes on Whatsapp daily. Of course, time is the most valuable commodity you have. Consequently, if you notice you are spending too much time on your account, you should delete it. As a result of having better focus, you’ll earn more money and have a happier, more fulfilling life.
- Your Brand has More Than an Account
Having multiple accounts for your brand will cause more harm than good. You should delete it (unless it has a million followers). If your main profile doesn’t have a blue check mark next to it to indicate its legitimacy, your target audience may follow the wrong account. Thus, you should delete multiple accounts to prevent confusion.
On Instagram, particularly among minors, there have been several documented incidences of cyberbullying. Sharing offensive material, making crude remarks on images, posting screenshots of private conversations, etc., has worsened matters for many people. You should prioritize both your mental health and your privacy. As such, take a break from everything that seems to jeopardize your security or mental well-being.
- It Reduces Self-esteem
The majority of Instagram influencers are narcissists. They only care about how they look, how much money they make, and other unrealistic things.
While you scroll and only see absolute glitz, these problems weigh heavily on your mind, and you slowly lose your self-esteem. Their apparent perfection increases your perceived imperfection and worthlessness. At this point, you should look for how to delete Instagram account in order to get your self-esteem back.
How To Delete Instagram Account: Things To Consider Before Deleting Your Instagram Account
Whether you choose to delete your Instagram account permanently or temporarily, you should first consider the following factors:
- Your Career
If you’re thinking about how to delete Instagram account, you should equally consider your career. Some companies encourage social media participation among staff and link their profiles to their websites. Keeping at least one account or creating a new one suited for work may be a good option. Your internet presence may impact your chances of consideration when applying for jobs. If you run a business, you can increase your ROI by finding the best Instagram tools for management and marketing.
- Make a Contact List
Social media is the only way to connect with some people. You might be unable to contact them when you delete your account. As such, you should list the phone numbers and emails of the people you still want to stay in touch with.
- Prepare a Diversion
You will need a diversion if you delete your accounts. If there are better fits for your business than Instagram, consider them before deleting your account. However, you should know that starting afresh will result in entirely different directions. The new platform will also take some time to achieve your goals.
- Your Data
This should be your priority before considering how to delete Instagram account. Before deleting your account on Instagram, you should retrieve your data, which includes status updates, images, chat history, and likes, from Instagram.
- Make a Final Post
Please consider making a final post on each of your accounts to let your mutuals know you’re quitting. It will put everyone’s minds at ease over your unexpected disappearance and give you closure.
How to Download Your Data Before Deleting Your Instagram Account
As we’ve mentioned earlier, if you’re thinking about how to delete Instagram account, the safety of your data should be your priority. Here are the steps to take if you want to download your data on Instagram
- Step 1: Open your app, click on your profile, and tap the three lines at the top right.
- Step 2: Select “Your Activity”
- Step 3: Click “Download your information”
- Step 4: Insert your email address and tap “Request download.”
If you are logging in via the website, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Log in to your account and click on your profile
- Step 2: Tap “More” on the bottom left of the screen and tap “Settings.”
- Step 3: Select “Privacy and security.”
- Step 4: Tap “Request Download”
- Step 5: Insert your email address and confirm.
Once you request the information and enter your email, Instagram will send the download link to you within 14 days.
Final Thoughts on How To Delete Instagram Account
Look at that! We’ve provided a comprehensive guide on how to delete Instagram account. However, Whatever your reason for deleting Instagram, consider your decision. Your business goals are achievable on Instagram if you employ the services of the right agency.
For instance, over the years, Path Social has worked to develop a proprietary AI targeting algorithm and an internal platform for strong Instagram influencers. Consequently, they are well-equipped to raise your lasting engagement levels and help you achieve your Instagram marketing goals.
Grow your Instagram and achieve your marketing objectives with Path Social today!